For those who are curious, here is how the day progressed:
I woke up around 2am on Wednesday, September 4th with what I believed to be stomach cramps. I figured all of the cookies I ate the day before caught up to me. My first two contractions were about 30 minutes apart, the next one was 20 minutes, and then we were down to 10. They were about 8-10 minutes apart until around 4am. Then they went away. I managed to fall back asleep until 4:45 am when I was rudely woken up by another contraction. They picked up right where they left off at 8-10 minutes apart. Around 7am they were between 5-6 minutes apart. I woke up Jason and told him that it appeared we were going to have a baby that day. We were told not to go into the hospital until the contractions were 5 minutes apart, lasting for a minute each, and they were that way for an hour. Mine were not consistent, so for several contractions they would be 3-5 minutes apart and then they would jump up to 6-7 minutes apart for a couple contractions. Finally around noon (about 10 hours of having contractions), we decided to go to the hospital to see where we were at.
We were admitted to the hospital around 12:15pm. I was 4cm dilated and 80% effaced. It was official that our little man was coming that day. Right away the doctor wanted to break my water and give me Pitocin. I told him that I would rather him break my water and then wait on the Pitocin after we see how I progress. I made it to 7cm before caving and asking for an epidural. After that, labor slowed down a bit and the doctor wanted to give me the Pitocin. Right before the nurse started it, Nate's heart rate dropped for about 15 minutes. They decided to then wait on the Pitocin for a half an hour. By the time the half hour was up, we were progressing so fast that it was almost time to push. After a half hour of pushing, little Nate came into this world and stole our hearts.
Everybody was healthy and happy. Our only complication was that they over-suctioned Nate. This caused him to become really congested which made it so that he had no interest in eating. Thursday evening, I noticed that Nate was wheezing and voiced my concern to the nurse. She called the pediatrician who asked that the neonatal specialist take a look at him. The neonatal specialist came in and let us know that she is the doctor that takes care of the really sick babies, and that Nate was not one of them that would be under her care (meaning he wasn't sick). She let us know that they were going to do a couple of breathing treatments and keep him in a humidifier hood for the night to help clear the congestion. Friday morning he came back to our room and was 100% better. We were release Friday evening to come home.
The past week has been a whirlwind of emotions. We finally have the gorgeous baby that we've been waiting for, and he is just perfect. We are learning a lot and very fast. There is still so much more to learn and we can't wait for Nate to teach us.
Thank you all for your never ending love and support! We are so glad you could join us on our journey. Our journey continues...
No comments:
Post a Comment